June 14, 2017

Tokyo, Japan 2016 | Day 3: Raw Tokyo

It's been months since my last post and while I did meant to blog about my Japan trip (in fact I was really excited to talk about it) I didn't have the time to edit photos and draft the posts as I was busy with my final project in college. Now that that has been done, which also means that I've completed my Diploma yayyyy *imaginary celebratory confetti* I can finally concentrate on my personal projects while I seek for a job.

Continuing from where I left off, the following posts will be on the third day of my trip. You can read the previous posts from my trip under the Tokyo label. I'm separating day 3 in parts because I went to many locations on this day and I want to talk about each of them in detail. Also there will be less wait for a new post rather than waiting for me to edit over 100 photos and spam everything in 1 post.



I love photographing train station with natural light, so soft and beautiful. I noticed that in Japan the natural light's white balance is a little different from Southeast Asia. It's a subtle difference but the lighting makes everything look much more pleasing to the eye, and if you notice the way I take and edit my photographs, I like them to be bright and colourful and usually a little on the cooler side.

So on the third day my first agenda was to visit Raw Tokyo. It's a vintage flea market around Aoyama which opens on the first weekend of the month. Not too sure how I got there since I pretty much relied on Misato to guide me there with the help of Google Maps, but I think if you google around it shouldn't be hard to locate. Before you enter Raw Tokyo there's a Farmers' Market outside so if you're interested you can visit that too.







As soon as you enter the market you'll see some booths selling food and coffee, so you can grab breakfast here if you haven't had any in the morning. I didn't get to try them but they smelled really good, and this particular mobile pizza van caught my interest since it had a kiln in the van itself!










Lots of vintage thrift store around Tokyo gathered here and each has a booth of their own carrying vintage clothing, bags, accessories so you'll never know what you might discover. Although I must say that the pricing can be pretty steep here, so I just went there to check out what they had and took pictures. The booth owners were really friendly so you can try to talk to them and get to know the people there. ^^





Cute cat display spotted!






Some booths were selling mini display items too, they're really random but I felt that that was the exciting part of a flea market. The items selling seemed like they were sourced from many countries and it was interesting to see what they chose to sell and what items interest the visitors here. I felt that there was a nice balance of both locals and foreigners here.





Fresh flowers were on sale too! I was pretty sure my mom would love to see them since she loves flowers. I'm usually not a nature sort of person but when I was in Japan I couldn't stop staring at the different species of floral and how beautifully they bloom in the cold weather.





Kermit frog and some other plushies on sale~ Fancy one for a meme?





Obligatory tourist photo to show that I've been here~ Finally got to wear my rainbow knitted dress from Unif in Tokyo thanks to the cool weather. :D I'd say that now but a few days later I'd be freezing in mini skirt as the temperature dropped... but you'll still see me in them because I want to look good in photos lol.

I'm the type who tries to dress up everyday when I'm traveling because I want to look good in my photos and have variety everyday but I try to pack clothes that I will definitely be able to mix and match into different style to save luggage space lol. Reversible clothing gains extra points from me too :D I can't see myself wrapped in the same down jacket everyday and look pretty much the same in every photo lol, that just feels like a waste of opportunity for me.







More tiny display items and cute accessories~





With Misato my travel buddy and tour guide for most of my trip in Tokyo. I really miss being there and I hope to travel and meet her again soon. I'm back home now after studying in Singapore but she's still over there working intern so I'm really missing her presence. :'( Right now I'm happy to be home with my family but I'm also missing some good friends in Singapore. Currently I'm trying to look for a job here and to study some skills part time so that hopefully in maybe 2 to 3 years time I'll get to go overseas again for a long period.





Seriously 'yabai' jeans spotted here by a shop staff. *v* I used the idea for my graduation project lol~





You can slowly enjoy your time at the market with some background music lol






I was just taking picture of this random car in the middle of the market then this uncle in yellow jacket walk over and was admiring the car and I thought that it was just a perfect match of colours! I love taking coincidental images :D





Whenever I'm travelling I love taking pictures of the people there because they remind me of the surroundings. I mean, touristy photos are good memories too but it's just you or someone you're travelling with in the photo so it doesn't truly represent the place and the atmosphere around you during that moment. Unintentional shots like this conveys a different message as they are not purposefully composed (although yes I compose the shot in terms of photography angles) but the subject themselves are unaware so they aren't 'posing' for the camera.






Also there happened to have lots of furkids running around at this fenced corner at the market. I think they were probably up for adoption?



RAW TOKYO
First weekend of the month
10:00-16:00

Farmer's Market @ UNU
東京都渋谷区神宮前5-53-70
Nearest train stations are Omotesando station (5 mins walk) & Shibuya station (10 mins walk)
http://www.rawtokyo.jp/

No comments:

Post a Comment