February 28, 2015

Homemade Tteokbokki

Last month while working on a school project, I had the chance to visit my friend's place and taste her homemade tteokbokki! Being an avid fan of tteokbokki, I was thrilled when she messaged me and a friend that we're going to prepare tteokbokki for lunch. I'm not confident with my cooking at all (I once nearly blew up a pot of soup (._.) ) so I left it to them while I contributed by taking pictures and arranging cutleries.

We got the ingredients from a nearby supermarket and a Korean food specialized supermarket, Shine Korea. A pack of vegetable, rice cakes, tteokbokki sauce and a pack of ramyun and you're good to go!




First wash up the vegetables then chop them up equally.




Next, wash up those rice cakes before you cook them. They look so cute already, it makes me want to chew on them!




Add a little bit of oil, stir fry the vegetables until they are cooked, then add in the tteokbokki and some sauce. For the sauce, just add a little by little and you can adjust the flavour with some water. Ramyun is optional but we thought that it'll be nicer with it so we added that too. However if you plan to add in ramyun, you will need to add more sauce as the ramyun absorbs the sauce really quickly.




We served it 'The Korean Way' and ate it straight from the pan. Quoting my korean friend, 'It's not that I'm lazy to wash up the dishes, it's to keep it hot!', I hope you get what she really meant lol XD The dish is relatively easy to make and I really want to give it a try when I'm back in Malaysia. It's fun and homemade tteokbokki feels different from what you get in restaurants. :) I hope this inspires you to cook something delicious and healthy, if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer them ^^

8 comments:

  1. Omgg your tteokbokki looks amazingly delicious!!! I love this Korean dish so much but sometimes it gets a bit too spicy haha! I usually eat the tteokbokki alone but mixed with the noodles looks like a really cool way of eating it too :)) Thanks for sharing this!!

    xx
    www.beautifyinglifee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 It was my first time trying tteokbokki with ramyun too and it was amazing! I get what you mean by tteokbokki getting too spicy! I guess if you prepare it yourself you get to control the spiciness, since outside bought ones are usually more spicy...

      Btw, do you know that in Hongdae there's a shop that sells tteokbokki in 5 levels of spiciness and if you can finish the spiciest one within a time limit you get to eat for free XD Saw that from the show 'Tasty Road' but I wouldn't try that since I can't handle too spicy food ^^;

      Delete
  2. yummm!! i shouldnt have read this in the middle of the night lolx.
    I'm planning to make simple onigiris this week and like you i totally dont have the confidence
    but i oredi bought the ingredients so might as well go for it!

    I think eating on the pan is such a good idea specially if with friends. Fond memories <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make onigiri with a mould I got from Daiso. It made life so much easier lol since I can't mould them into perfect triangles when they are steaming hot > < Good luck with your onigiri! :D

      Eating straight from the pan is really fun! I used to eat instant noodles straight from the pot with my family too when I was much younger ^^

      Delete
  3. The tteokbokki looks really good~ My mouth is watering from the sight of it lol ^-^ Tteokbokki is one of my favourite Korean dishes and my family likes to add ramyun noodles, dumplings, fish cakes and boiled eggs to ours when we have it. A little of cheese on top is also really good if you haven't tried that :)

    Catherine | leekcat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You add so much ingredients into yours! I want to try them with tteokbokki too! :D

      Delete
  4. this is making me want to make my own tteokbokki! my favourite restaurant that had the best one in my opinion just recently shut down so i will probably need to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I feel sad for you... Good luck if you're trying it out :D

      Delete