July 19, 2014

Homesick


Current location: Singapore

With all the standard stuff settled (Student Pass, Bank, Phone and Accomodation), I'm left with a few days before the college's registration day. Mom came with me on Monday to get all these done and had returned to KL last night. Sending her off was not easy, I started crying while having lunch and sobbing profusely when she boarded the bus back home. Tears kept rolling down my cheeks the rest of the day and I ended up crying myself to sleep. Woke up this morning feeling a little better, yet a morning Skype session with my family makes me cry once again. Cried during lunch and after that as well. My day consist of doing nothing much but crying. Isn't it ironic to think that I used to shut myself in my room for hours and yet I cam crying for not seeing my family for a day or two when they're just a 5 hours bus ride away?

Still, it was my choice to study abroad to begin with, and I was so eager to do this when I went for the interview. Such experience are often described as overwhelming, once in a lifetime and a fruitful experience. Who knew that I will be suffering from homesickness desperately?

Signing off,
The kid who used to cry for 2 months when kindergarten started.

6 comments:

  1. Awww, you'll be okay!! I'm sure you'll get to see them during the study breaks and holidays and things like that plus you can talk to them so easily nowadays you'll get better at coping! Have fun and study hard in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern :') It's fine when I'm busy with things or laughing with my friend, but when I'm alone or bad things happen, I feel really sad and I wish they can be here for me....

      Delete
  2. Aw, i hope you get better (?) soon. Life in singapore is pretty ok, the transportation system and safety is really good (compared to malaysia at least /sorry if this offends you/) anyway, I'm from Singapore so I can attest to that! Many people say its horrible and I can sort of see where they are coming from.... But being a student means I don't really have to be concerned about political bullcrap and just worry about daily things \o/ eg. "Should I buy mac or BK" hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that things are much more efficient and safe in Singapore.... but sometimes homesickness is not about the place being bad or different, it's more about missing that one basic need of having a family you can return to each day. I know it's hard to understand unless you're a student who studies abroad, because we all go through the same thing and we know how tough it is at first.

      Delete
    2. It's ok feeling like that since you just went abroad for your studies, leaving your family and friends behind. I'm sure you will cope well sooner or later with everything. Maybe you could visit your family during long weekends during school term or during the school holidays. :) Study hard in Singapore! Singapore is wonderful place to live and study. :D

      Delete
    3. Thank you Ying Ying :) I'm slowly coping, although that feeling of homesickness still lingers within my heart... At least I do not cry anymore and try to make myself busy each day by exploring the country.

      Delete