May 27, 2014

Goodbye, Old Makeup!

I've got to say wearing old makeup has got to be one of the most terrible things to do. Each makeup product has a certain shelf life span and an expiry span no matter which brand it is from. But I'm pretty sure we all have some old makeup in our storage.

Around 2 months ago I've been noticing frequent breakouts and blemishes which I thought were maybe just some teenage thing. I tried to save my skin by paying more attention to my skin care routine while spending some unnecessary money in the process. Nothing's wrong with my skin care routine, I had the usual cleanser, toner, moisturizers, face scrub and also some acne products to fight off those blemishes. I still had to do reviews on my blog so I tried to cover up with even more base makeup and with the help of photoshop but only later I realized that the source of my problem was my foundation.



DSC04463

Like many others, I don't keep track of when I bought my makeup so I forgot about how long I had been using them. I knew makeup has to be thrown away after a certain period of time, but I don't know when and like many other girls, we can't afford to buy new makeup all the time so we tend to keep them as long as we can. However, in the long run, as more blemishes appears, we tend to spend even more into skin care instead which I believe the amount of money spent on those could've bought you a new foundation instead.

Every product has its own shelf life span from the day of production. If a product had not been opened since the day of the production till the day of expiration eg. 2 years, it has expired. However if the product was opened within the last few months till the date of expiration, it will expire on the day of expiration even though it can last up to 1 year after opening. But if the product has been opened for 1 year before the expiration date reaches, it is also considered as an expired product. (Click here for more info) Below's a list for your reference:



Credit: prettyshinysparkly.com

For natural and organic products, they usually last up to 6 months only as they are preservative free. That means bacteria can easily catch in them. Additionally, it if smells bad, feels dry or has a change in texture, you know it's time to toss them away. But of course, you've got to keep them closed tightly for hygiene purposes! Also remember to clean your brushes fortnightly with a brush cleanser or shampoo. (I usually wash my brushes in the shower, haha!)



I thought that it might be a little wordy but I hope it was helpful. I never thought of actually writing this until it happened to me, but oh well, you'll never learn if you never failed. I'm still on my way in recovering my skin from blemishes so I'm staying away from makeup as best as I can. My relatives are visiting all the way from Canada for 3 weeks and we'll be traveling locally together and I'm really excited about that! :D They will be arriving at the airport soon so I've got to get ready to meet them in a few hours time. :D

12 comments:

  1. I must share this with my girlfriend, she has lot tons of make up with her, no idea whether they are still good to use or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm happy to know that :D

      Delete
  2. Oh it might be helpful - on the packet (of the make up) (sometimes it's also on the packaging but mostly it's on the product itself,) there's normally a little 'jar' looking thing with a number (this is how many months they're good for!) Like, mascara will have a jar with 6 (or 3) (I've seen both!) or something that is 2 years will have 24 on it. Sometimes it actually says M after the number as well but sometimes it doesn't :/. It doesn't help you remember when you opened the item but still it's good to know it's there. ^.^ Hope that helps you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the PAO (period after opening) indication right? Certain products have them, but some don't, so I think it'll be good to know just in case (^^)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, some don't but it's good to know it's there anyways!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this!! I always feel so bad when I have to throw away makeup that hasn't been finished though >_<

    xx
    Beautifyinglifee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I feel so too, I mean some of them we hardly ever use them but it's time to say goodbye to them.....

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this, I actually never knew that liquid eyeliners expire after only 3 months?! I usually just use them till they're empty which is after half a year or 1 year D: I noticed that I'm also using a BB cream for 2 years already DD: This post maked me worry a bit now T T But thanks for posting this I will test all my make up for weird smell or texture now :o

    http://mymychen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of us do too, do take some time to check if your makeup are still good! ;)

      Delete
  5. nice post :D , need to throw some make up. I just feel bad sometimes when I need to throw away my cosmetics. because, most of my cosmetics have cute packaging TT.TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I know how you feel too! Cute packaging makes you love the product so much but you have to throw it away someday and that's really heartbreaking :(

      Delete